Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I (We) Don't Get It...???



I would like to preface this by saying that, yes, he can sing, but I don't understand the "hype". For weeks now, there has been this buzz around David Cook and to be honest, I just don't get it. First of all, am I the only one (ok, Kim and I agree on most of this) who thinks that he is a complete fake? He even said it himself tonight, that he grew up doing theater. He is NOT a rocker! He is a drama queen, err, theatrical singer playing dress-up and pretending to be something he's not. Granted, when he sticks to the rock, he's pretty good, but I don't think that he's genuine. Not like David A. or Brooke. They are completely believeable. They are genuine.

From the get-go, I have thought, and still believe David Cook to be COMPLETELY arrogant and condescending. He thinks he's the best and knows it. Ever since Simon called him on it, he does this "awe shucks" act and holds his precious hands together and raises them to the crowd in "humble" thanks and appreciation. Phony!!!!

As Andrew Lloyd Webber stated, the eyes have it and when you look into David Cooks eyes, there is nothing there, especially tonight. He just seems empty and therefore unbelieveable. I think we all know when someone believes what they're singing and it comes through. That did not happen tonight. When Simon said that he did the best he could with what he had and the song he chose, that is not true. We both were waiting for him to take off and change the song into his own style (similar to what David A. did, which was awesome by the way) but he never did....until the LAST note, which was stupid because you can't walk through that song and sing it one way and then decide "Hey, I'm going to put my stamp on this thing and belt out a Rocker scream at the end." At that point, it was completely inappropriate. I'm surprised Simon didn't call him out on that one.

Ultimately, he will skate through to the next round, which he probably deserves, but as I said prior, I just don't get the whole David Cook hype. Don't even get me started on his huge heed. I wonder if he cries himself asleep on his huge pillow?

P.S. I feel so bad for Brooke. Although she did stumble badly, I don't think it was as bad as the judges felt it was. Oh Well.

18 comments:

Trina said...

Wow, I don't really like David Cook but holly cow. You really don't like him. I agree that he is agrrogant and he does have a huge head. Even Darrel thinks his head is huge and that is saying something!!

AZ Hey-mon said...

Kim you totally should. You can start it from any day.It is fun and I am not nearly as good at keeping up as the rest of Craig's family. It helps us feel apart of each others lives when we all live far away. you can even turn it into a book. Here is a link that was the inspiration for us.http://photojojo.com/content/tutorials/project-365-take-a-photo-a-day/

Teresa said...

Please, I really think the "aw shucks" fake humility award belongs to David A. He is a little too sweet to be believed.

Sheri said...

I just can't agree. I love David Cook. I think he is original and I would actually buy a album he made. I don't care if he's arrogant or not - he's better than everyone there except for David A.

hey, it's just my opinion -can we still be friends?

Brian said...

I don't know, Sheri. I just can't accept those who buy into his crap. Well, sure, I guess we can still be friends.

Teresa, I agree that David A. plays the "Aw Shucks" card too much, but I don't think it's planned. He's just that cheesy.

Charlotte said...

I still like David Cook, but I don't think he will win. So tonight it's going to be Brooke or Jason....please, please, please let it be Jason. You want to talk about fake. Cut your nasty hair and get out of the 60's. He is so GAY!!!!! Not that there's anything wrong with that (hint...Seinfeld fans)!!

Unknown said...

I don't even know what to say. I LOVE David Cook. I think he is one of the only actual musiciansin the compotitions. I watch and rewatch his preformances. I love them. I don't think he "skates" by by anymeans but speaking of skating I totally want to go to skateland for my bday! Maybe we could do a combined bday party!!

Brian said...

Tricia, 'I' don't know what to say. Coming from someone who actually has musical talent, I'm shocked to hear you say this. I expected better from you.

As for Skateland, that sounds fun. Only if we can have them play the cheesy 80's tunes they used to play. And if we all can slow skate backwards and do the hokey-pokie.

Teresa said...

You know, the show has been on so long now that they all are aware of how to play the game; so none of them are really authentic. I do, however, really like David Cook, despite is comb-over hair.

Darrel said...

Brian, you have serious issues if you have taken som much time to think about something as inconsequential as the authenticity of someone on a televised talent show.

drjlambson said...

When you go buy an album do you buy it because the guy is really authentic or if you like the music. I could give a rat's pattootie if he is authentic or not. In the end did I like how the song sounded. And the only answer I can come up with is a resounding "YES". Also David A. might have the best voice and singing ability but there is no way in Hades I would buy one of his boring albums. But I would buy David C's.

Sheri said...

K & B: I changed my blog address to:

ourinbetweendays.blogspot.com

David Cook ROCKS!

Brian said...

You peaple are all WACKED!!!! And, yes, Jared..I would NOT buy someone's album if I thought they were an arrogant piece of rat's pattootie. I also agree that I wouldn't buy one of David A.'s albums, but I also WOULD NOT buy one of David Cook's!!!!!!!!!! He sounds like 100's of other singers out there, ALL of which I own ZERO of their albums. I would buy one of Jason's albums LONG before one of David Cook's. All I can say is that you all are the reason there's so much CRAP out there, because you continue to support and buy it.

Darrel said...

I don't think that there has ever been someone on American Idol from whom I would buy an album, or download a song. But that's just me.

Becca said...

David Cook can sing, but I agree, he is fake, but he is playing a game - a game that I must admit I watch faithfully.
Darrel - so true, I don't think I would buy an album from an American Idol - it's sad, but being on the show seems to make them less of an artist for me - they are more like game show contestants.
Teresa, David A. is so cheesy and I'd really like to give him some speech therapy sessions to get rid of that prepubescent voice.
Charlotte, I too was hoping that Jason was ousted, not Carly.

Kim said...

David A. had severe damage to his vocal chords. That's probably why he talks like that. It's amazing he can even still sing.

Brooke is my favorite, though I don't think she'll win. For all of you Jason haters out there, I like him, but I also don't think he will win.

I think all the little teenage girls out there are texting in their votes for David A.

Tim said...

but he's so hot... ..no this is NOT Becca - it's Tim.

LauraB said...

DAVID COOK IS THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL!!!!