Sunday, September 7, 2008

Midnight Woes

(This is not the ACTUAL cover of the book - just something a fan came up with, but I wanted to post a picture).


So, it's been just over a week that I heard the sad news about Midnight Sun.  Have you heard yet?

For those of you who don't know - Midnight Sun is the last of the Twilight series books that Stephenie Meyer has been working on.  It is actually the book Twilight, written entirely from Edward's perspective instead of Bella's.  Stephenie has had the first chapter of the book posted on her website for some time now.  It is awesome.

After finishing Breaking Dawn, I felt a kind of let down - not because I didn't like the book. I DID!  It was a let down because the series was over, and I had nothing else to look forward to.  Then I remembered Midnight Sun.  She had said that she was working on it to be released sometime next year.  It got me excited again.  

Sadly, a partial draft of Midnight Sun was illegally posted on the internet and has been distributed without her knowledge or permission.    She feels that her rights as an author and human being have been violated, and that it has been a very upsetting experience for her.  She is so upset, that she has put the project on hold INDEFINITELY.  What?  No Midnight Sun?  NOOOOOO!  I was SO looking forward to it.  I am now distraught.

She said on her website that she didn't want her fans reading the version that's out there.  She said "it was only an incomplete draft; the writing is messy and flawed and full of mistakes."  However, she knows that there will be a lot of interest in seeing it, so she has posted a link on her website if you are interested in reading the incomplete draft.  Her website is www.stepheniemeyer.com.  It is under her August 28th 2008 (part 1) entry at the bottom of the page.

I haven't decided if I'm going to read it or not.  Who am I kidding?  I probably will.  I'll take all I can get.  

Do you think you'll read it?

On a side note - Stephenie is directing the video to the first single from Jack's Mannequin's upcoming album.  The song is "The Resolution."  I'm not a huge fan of Jack's Mannequin, but I'm sure I will be checking out this video.  

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Kim- I too, am distraught. Especially after I read the draft. Now I know what I'm missing... I think that was such a great idea - re-writing the book from a different point of view, and I totally loved it. Alas, hopefully one day she will change her mind and finish it. I will be waiting...

Jamie said...

p.s. - Great job with the book cover!

Sheri said...

Tiffany and I have both read the draft (o.k. fine! i've only read part of it - it's hard for me to read on the computer) and we are IRRATE! We want to start a petition - it's soooo good. And then after she writes Midnight Sun she can concentrate on writing New Moon, Eclipse & Breaking Dawn from Edward's point of view. Seriously. Not kidding. That's our fondest wish. That and world peace (but Midnight Sun first!)

Kim said...

She said she would never write New Moon,Eclipse & Breaking Dawn from Edward's point of view. She said that New Moon especially would be too boring. Also that After Midnight Sun, you would know enough about Edward that you wouldn't need her to write the others from his point of view.

Also, she said if she ever returns to the Twilight series, that the only 2 characters that she would write from their point of view would be Reneesme, or Leah. She felt that Leah's story was left a little incomplete.

I'm with you. If enough people complain about it, maybe she'll decide to finish it. I hope so!

Teresa said...

I'm new to the books. My stepdaughter, Karen, was interested in reading them this summer. We were so excited that she was interested in reading that we went and bought all of them for her. When she went home last week, she left them here for me to read. I have finished the first 3 and will withhold judgement until I am done with them.

Heather said...

I just finished it and it made me once again want to read them all. I loved seeing a little more of the back story and wanted to continue to read more. I am with Sheri on starting a petition. Thanks for the information on the book Kim. I don't think I would have caught that without you.

Michelle and Aaron said...

I have no shame, so I got it off her website and read it. Aargh! She needs to finish it! I am a little nervous for the movie. I hope it turns out well. I am not a huge fan of who they picked for Edward (people making michelle voodoo dolls and stabbing them)....so we'll see.

Kim said...

I seriously don't like who they picked for Edward either. I had him pictured totally different in my mind.