Tuesday, January 8, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELVIS & GOODBYE CHRISTMAS!

Yes, you read that correctly. Why is there a picture of my Christmas tree next to Elvis when we are 8 days into the new year and Christmas was 2 weeks ago?


What do these 2 things have in common?

I'm glad you asked.

My husband loves 2 things very much. Ok, he loves more than 2 things, but 2 things in particular we will be discussing today.

If any of you know Brian at all, you know he loves Christmas, and he also LOVES Elvis. The problem with this is that I'm not allowed to "take down" Christmas until Elvis has celebrated his birthday. That is the way Elvis did it, so that is the way we do it. I tried to remind my husband that he is not Elvis.
I've always had the tradition that we leave the Christmas decorations up until my birthday - New Years Eve. It's not that bad. it's only 6 days after Christmas and is still December. Marrying an Elvis freak means that we extend that by 8 days. January 8th, are you kidding me?

Don't get me wrong. I love Christmas. The day after Thanksgiving all the decorations come out. It's fun because I married a guy who loves Christmas and he helps with all the decorating.

He loves Christmas so much that one year, we started listening to Christmas music in July and went straight on through December (I kid you not.) But January 8th, COME ON! I agreed to the tree. It's bad enouh keeping it up till the 8th, but it's indoors. No one else can see our secret shame, but Brian insists on turning the outside lights on the house on every night. It's getting a little embarrassing. Last night we were one of 2 houses left in the entire neighborhood. It's a fight to see who can last the longest. I'm betting we win. I jokingly remarked to Brian, "why don't we just leave them up and turn them on every night of the year?" He was all for it. I need to keep my big mouth shut.

I guess I shouldn't fight him on it too much. He did spend most of the month of December sick, and didn't really get to enjoy it this year. Christmas Day was just sad for him. He looked half dead. Not to mention the fact that tomorrow he will be having surgery and will once again be bed-ridden. I should just let him enjoy his Christmas after Christmas. After all, we celebrate the season 2 weeks before Christmas, and nobody has a problem with that, why not 2 weeks after Christmas too? Shouldn't the spirit of Christmas last all year?
On that note, I wasn't going to blog about Christmas. I figured it was too late, but since we are still celebrating at our house, I'll do an overview. (I was going to say I'll do a brief overview, but as you can tell by now, I'm not good at "brief").

A couple of days before Christmas, Joe and I were outside and he made the comment: "It just doesn't feel like Christmas." He was referring to the fact that it was 70 degrees and sunny, but I was feeling like that for other reasons. I think mostly because Brian was so sick this year. It was hard to enjoy the season with him being miserable. That and the fact that it seemed a lot of my family was grinching and grouching about Christmas (you know who you are!) I think when people grinch and grouch about Christmas, it's because they are forgetting the true meaning of it. It's not about stressing yourself out by trying to do too much, or spending money you don't have on people who already have too much. You are missing the whole point! Ok, I'm off of my high horse now, and back to the subject. So, after Joe made the comment, I started to think back over the past month. There were a lot of moments where it DID feel like Christmas, so I decided to focus on those. I made a list:

IT FELT LIKE CHRISTMAS WHEN:

* It was rainy and cloudy for a week.

* When I went with Joe to Target and watched him pick out a present for a boy that he'd picked off the giving tree at school.

* When I got to go shopping with my mom, just the 2 of us. As much time as I spend at my mom's house, I hardly get to spend any real time with her. She is always babysitting, running errands or on the phone.




* When Rowan got SO excited about the lights and music at Organ Stop Pizza on Michael's birthday.


* When Joe and I delivered Christmas cookies together.

* When I went secret Santa shopping all by myself.

* When Joe & I went Christmas caroling with the Gonzo's to Grandma's house. She sent us over to carol for her neighbor. He was so happy.

*When I got to watch Joshua's reaction to the lights at the temple. Also watching him be completely mesmerized by the Christus Statue in the visitor's center.

* When we decorated gingerbread houses at Jared and Tricia's house.
* When my mom and I wrapped presents at Grandmother's house.
* When I got to hear Tricia sing "Where are you Christmas?"

* When I got to hear Adam sing "Silent Night" while Jared Ammon played the guitar.
* When Stacy, Sheri and my dad read Christmas stories at our annual, adults only dinner.
* When I listened to Josh Groban sing "Oh, come all ye faithful".


* When we would read our nightly Christmas story. Brian, Joe & I turn of all the lights in the house and plug in the tree and the Christmas village. Then we get cozy on the couch and read a Christmas story. This is one of my very favorite Christmas traditions. Sometimes we would add hot chocolate.


* When I sang Christmas hymns in church.
* When I read my Christmas card from Brian. He always makes me cry.
* When we packed lunces for the homeless. Especially watching Addy pack hers.

* When I watched my son and neices and nephews hand out lunches to homeless people on Christmas eve. One man Joe gave a lunch to was so happy he started laughing. I later overheard Joe telling his cousin about it. He said : "I have a soft spot in my heart for that guy."
* When I visited my Grandma on Christmas eve with my family (most of us made it over there together). She was so happy when Rowan gave her a big hug. He just seems to make people happy.
* Baking cookies for Santa with Joe on Christmas eve.
* Joe's excitement on Christmas eve. It was electric. I love kids!
* Watching White Christmas with Brian and Joe on Christmas eve.

* Listening to my dad read the Christmas story from the Bible on Christmas morning. All 27 of us crammed into the living room to listen.

* Watching James open his drum set on Christmas morning. I don't think I've seen anyone more excited.
* Watching Brian open a doormat at his mom's house on Christmas day. He had a huge grin on his face the minute he ripped open the paper and saw the box. It was nice to see him smile. He had been so sick, I think it was the first true smile I'd seen on his face in days. I know it's strange to be so happy about a doormat, but he'd seen it on QVC and really wanted it. Both he and his mom are addicted to QVC. It was funny that she knew just what to get him.
All in all, it was a great Christmas season. So, as the rest of the world has moved on to New Year's resolutions, we are quietly celebrating this, our last day of Christmas - and so we say: HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELVIS & GOODBYE CHRISTMAS!
sorry this was so long (if you're even still reading). I don't post much, so when I do, I guess I have a lot to say.

15 comments:

Brian said...

Kim, I love you for posting this! You are the best. I am sooo sad that I was not up to par this year with my health, but I look forward to next Christmas. I promise that it will be better. All in all, it wasn't so bad. I just wish that I could have been there at your parent's Christmas morning and heard the reading of Luke. I missed that.

And for all you who don't love Elvis and Christmas as much as I do, shame on you! Merry Christmas everybody!

Teresa said...

Feel no shame! I am taking my trees down today (but only because Stuart is making me.) I usually go through mid January, and once I even waited until February 1st.

Sheri said...

Kim - I love you and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings today.

I loved your post it made me feel more Christmasy than I did when it was Christmas. I need to concentrate on being with my family and enjoying the simple things that make it Christmas.

ducklips said...

Merry Christmas and Happy birthday Elvis.
Ok, I'm not a huge Elvis fan, but I do like him and I love Christmas, although my decorations come down on New Years.
I love this post.
Good luck to Brian w/ surgery. What's it for? I hope everything is ok.

Brian said...

It's for sinus surgery. Everyone says that it's a nosejob, but it's not. I'm a baby when it comes to surgery, so any extra prayers would be appreciated. Thanks for all your well-wishes.

P.S.--The christmas tree photo DOES NOT do it justice. It was taken in some light. I'll take one tonight and try and get the FULL effect.

Merilee said...

Kim, it sounds like you had a lot of Christmas spirit this year. Your family has a ton of awesome traditions.
If only Brian wasn't such a stick in the mud. j/k Brian, I hope all goes well with the surgery.

Trina said...

Brian Good Luck mannana!! We will be thinking about you! Let us know if we can help! We love you guys!

Karen Lambson said...

Kim & Brian,

Kim this was a wonderful post. I do love the true meaning of Christmas and getting to spend time with family and doing service.
Brian I am praying for you to have a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Love, Mom

LauraB said...

Wow, Brian, “I’m All Shook Up” – nobody said you had such a “Blue Christmas.” Did you have a “Fever,” too? Should have had “A Little Less Conversation” and more of “Suspicious Minds” when I didn’t see you much around across the street during the holidays (on this side of the street, “Down in the Ghetto” we don’t see much of what goes on and we weren’t very neighborly this year!) “Don’t Be Cruel” and let us know how you make it through the surgery. Hopefully you’ll be better “Any Day Now!”

(P.S. This message can be marked “Return to Sender” if you don’t like it!)

Unknown said...

Kim, I shed a tear during that post. It was a good christmas wasn't it!
Brian, if you love Elvis that much,you must have a costume tucked away somewhere??? Bring it out. Also good luck with your new nose!! I hope you like it as much as Ashley Tisdale! We love you.

Brian said...

I'll bring out mine if you bring out yours:-) Also, I EXPECT to LOOK like Ashley Tisdale. Love you too.

Trina said...

I have been wanting to call to see how you are, but I don't want to bother you! How are you doing? Are you having any pain? What can I do to help? Let me know how you are!!

Brian said...

Trina, you are always so willing to help. Thank you. Yes, I'm doing ok, but I have had a lot of pain today. I pop the codeine as much as allowed. I see the doctor tomorrow to remove the stints. I'm anticipating that...not. Thanks for ALL of you who have said that extra prayer. It HAS been felt.

prism said...

Kim, this is such a wonderful post. It really makes me miss you. Thank you so much for just being you and for also being so willing to overlook my many frailties and for always always being a good friend. You are a rare gem.

I want you to post again, so I tagged you - it's a super short easy one. Go to my site to the "Random fun" post for instructions.

Michelle and Aaron said...

Hello to Kim and Brian! Long time no talkie- not intentional on my part, but may have been on yours...anyhow- hope Brian is feeling recovered and all went well. We left our tree up until around the 14th or so. I didn't want to take it down since it was still green and very much alive. Which doesn't happen when you have a real tree in Az. So that is one good thing about Oregon, I guess. Also, how do I get to be a "chosen one"? Ooh, pick me!