Monday, March 17, 2008

Book Tag - Finally

Ok, so Elise tagged me, a long long time ago. Because I love to read so much, I thought this tag was fun.

This one is called book tag. Here is how it works:

1. Pick up the book that is nearest to you (must have at least 123 pages).

2. Open to page 123

3. Find the 5th sentence.

4. Post the next 3 sentences.

5. Tag 5 people

I am currently reading 2 different books that I have with me at all times. So I'm posting them both. The first is from one of my all time favorite books. I have read it several times. I am reading it again for our book club this month. It is "The Thief Lord" by Cornelia Funke. Here are my 3 sentences:

"With only his feeble flashlight for illumination, he fought through the piled-up garbage, climbing over wedged chairs, crates, and broken partitions. It was pitch black behind the boarded-up door and Victor's heart nearly stopped when, by the ticket booth, he ran slam-bang into a cardboard cutout of a man pointing a machine gun into his face. Cursing quietly, he shoved the thing aside and crept toward the double doors that led to the movie theater's auditorium."

They also made this book into a movie, and unlike some books that are made into movies, this one isn't chopped to bits and changed so much that you don't recognize it.


The second book is one that my nephew Adam gave to me to read. I think I've mentioned before that he is always supplying me with books. Anyway, I have not read this one before, and I'm not quite halfway through with it, but I am really liking it so far. The prologue was a little gory but so far the book hasn't been. I can't really recommend it until I've finished with it.

From the Book "The Warrior Heir" by Cinda Williams Chima:

"Our ancestors." Aunt Linda picked up her teacup, then set it down again without drinking from it. "We include our share of poets, writers, revolutionaries, and visionaries, but the Weir inherit unusual abilities."

So, now I'm supposed to tag 5 people. I'm not going to. Instead, I tag anyone who loves to read. Please share what you are reading right now.

I'm also leaving you with a question. I love to read and I'll pretty much read anything from any genre, although kids fantasy type books seem to be my favorite. What are your favorite books? I'm always looking for a good read, and I'm curious to see what all you people out there in blog land are reading.

6 comments:

Sheri said...

You know what I love to read...I love to borrow The Thief Lord. The Bogle girls were going on and on about The Other Boelyn Girl, so I think I'm going to check it out...also I want to read Atonement. I'm becoming a grown up!

Brian said...

Sheri, don't get too ahead of yourself...don't forget, you LOVE High School Musical!!!

Kim said...

He's got a point Sheri, you do like High School Musical.

P.S. This is Joe

ducklips said...

Oh, yes, read The Other Boleyn Girl. I do have to warn you that it is a little scandalous. You've probably picked up on that from everyone else's blogs though. It's history though, kinda, so it must be alright. We are going to see the movie tomorrow night for our book club. Come join if you like, 6:40 showing at Chandler. Meeting in the mall food court at 5:30.

Ok, other than that, the books I haven't been able to put down are: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas, The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde, anything by Jane Austin or the Bronte sisters. Loved the Harry Potter series and the Twilight Series. Ok, that's enough for now.

Becca said...

Kim, what a great post! I love to read too, and I haven't read either of the two books you posted about - I'll have to soon. Tim and I enjoy a lot of sci-fi/fantasy books (although the teen/kid books are nice because you can finish them quickly). I really like the Tennis shoes among the nephites series, David Edding's Series that starts with The Pawn of Prophecy, Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenant Chronicles, and more. I just added a page element on our blog with the books that we are currently reading - so feel free to check up on books there too!

prism said...

My Hana reads constantly. We literally can't keep enough books in her hands - thank goodness we live close to the library and they have a great system - you can go online and request books from ANY of the county libraries, and they will send them to our library and e-mail when they arrive. cool!

Anyway, one that I liked was "The City of Ember" - it's a jr/teen type novel, and good. I don't read many novels. Liked that one, and it has two more (I read 2nd, it's good too). I think they're making a movie.

Rich keeps trying to get me to read "To Say Nothing of the Dog", so that would be his suggestion. I bet Hana could give you a good list. "Inkheart" is one I can think of. Oh - "The Puppet Masters" was a good one, I thought.

Happy reading!