Thursday, March 13, 2008

Toilet trouble

First of all, No, this blog is not about Brian's lactose intolerance.

Ok, so the toilet is clogged. That will sometimes happen. We try and try and try to unclog it with the plunger. We finally figure that the plunger is not working correctly. Brian goes out and buys another one. More plunging, to no avail. Brian decides we need something stronger, and goes out and buys some clog remover to put into the toilet. Warning - must use heavy duty gloves and protective goggles to use this product. So he also buys said gloves and goggles. Guess what? It does not work! He finally asks my dad what to do. Dad suggests snaking the toilet. Brian goes back to the store once again and buys a toilet snake. Guess what? Still not working! At this point I am resigned to the fact that it will stay clogged forever.

So after 3 trips to the store and almost $50.00 spent, what do I have? A stupid toilet that is still clogged. Brian decides to go on line for help. Hallelujah, he found a solution. Do you know what it took? Dish soap. That's right, dish soap. He put some in the toilet, waited about 2 minutes, plunged again and what do you know, it worked. Why didn't he check on line in the first place? We could have saved ourselves $50.00.

Here is what I want to know: Is the dish soap thing common knowledge? I'd never heard of it before.

10 comments:

ducklips said...

I have never heard of dish soap for a clogged toilet. I'm so glad to hear of it now though. Do you think it works for sinks too?

Kim said...

I don't know if it works for sinks or not, but it doesn't hurt to try right?

Becca said...

Dish Soap! We haven't heard that one, but good to know.

Merilee said...

I've never heard of it either. Weird!

Sheri said...

I've never heard of it, but I am certainly going to try it next time. I wonder if it works because it's slimy and makes everything go down easier?

Anonymous said...

That is why i just grease up my rear with dish soap before hitting the throne. It makes it easier for me and the toilet clogging situation. Watch out though, if you get carried away with the application process you may find yourself slipping right off that toilet seat. just another helpful hint out there for everybody's toilet issues. thanks for bringing up this topic I always wanted to discuss with others. Thanks Horaks!

Teresa said...

EWWWW! I think it might be time to cut Ian off from the computer!

Trina said...

I wondered where the dish soap was at the Lambson's the other night! You crack me up Ian. And Horacks great news! Glad to hear your toilet problems are solved! Hows your floors and walls?

Kim said...

The floor in the family room should be finished tomorrow and the walls are bright lime green. I love it! When I get all the baseboards back on, I'll post pictures.

LauraB said...

So, KIm, what' your rate for helping other do the same thing, hmmmm?