Monday, September 24, 2007

What did he say?

Every night is an adventure when we put Joe to bed. There is the fighting, and then the stalling, and then the “Goodnight Mom” about eighty times before he finally gives in and falls asleep. Like clockwork, however, he will wake up ten minutes later, always startled, and usually utter something and then we say “Goodnight” again and he’ll quickly be off to sleep for good. On the rare occasion, we are blessed with a tidbit of what he may have been dreaming about and on these occasions, we are in for a treat. Last night, Joseph woke up, startled as usual, and said “Mom, come here”. She went to see if he was ok and he then proceeded to say “Mom, can we build a tree house?” To which Kim responded, “No, Joseph, not tonight”. He then came back with a line we will not soon forget….”Mom, just think about it, you and me, a house in a tree.” Of course, he has no recollection of anything he says. Kim came out and I wasn’t sure if I heard what I thought I heard and we couldn’t stop laughing. He is such a funny kid. And he is a poet and didn’t even know it.

By the way, where am I in this tree house?????

5 comments:

Sheri said...

That's pretty hilarious. Max and Ben do the same. Last night Max woke up briefly and asked to play with Wolverine. I told him he could later then he went back to sleep. Ian does it too. When we were first married he would wake up in the middle of the night and we would have whole conversations none of which he remembered the next day. Or maybe he was just pretending...

ducklips said...

That is so funny. Steve talks in his sleep too, although none of his dreams are in rhyme.
He passed on this talent to our kids. It is only on a rare occasion that I understand what they are saying though.

Trina said...

That is so cool. I love it! How funny I wish my kids did that. Addy just falls out of bed that is as exciting as she gets. Joe is so awesome

Kim said...

Joe has fallen out of bed too. Though he usually only does that when we stay in a hotel. It is weird because hotel beds are bigger than his bed at home.

LauraB said...

Yeah, but that falling out of bed thing can be kinda funny. Like when Jamie fell out of bed and broke her arm - that part wasn't funny. What was funny was that I was the one who took her to the ER (Jon had to work the next day, so I took her so he could sleep) and here we were, trying to explain that she fell out of bed and broke her arm. Hmmm, they are wondering - the mother-in-law brings the daughter-in-law to the ER - where's the husband? Sure she fell out of bed. I kept waiting for the social worker to show up!