Sunday, February 24, 2008

Wise Guy

So, I'm sure you all know about the multitude of health problems Brian has had over the past year. I recently posted about his surgery to repair his deviated septum. We'll, the recovery for that was loooong, and he kept having acute pain on the left side of his face. So, he went back to the doctor and was told it was infected and was given even more pills to take. When the pain didn't go away they decided to have him come in so they could drain the infection. So, he went in for the appointment and guess what? Nothing to drain. Which meant that something else was causing the pain. After an x-ray, he was informed that he had not 1 but 2 impacted wisdom teeth on the upper left side. One of them was so far up, it was near the sinus cavity and was probably the culprit of all the pain. So, we make the appointment for surgery to have all 5 of his wisdom teeth removed. Where he got 5 instead of 4, who knows, I guess he is just extra wise. Does this mean he'll be extra stupid when they are gone?

So, Friday morning I take him to the oral surgeon, where he is told that after looking at the x-ray more closely, there are not 5, but 6 wisdom teeth. There are 3 on that upper left side. He was in surgery for 2 hours. When he is done, I'm given all the instructions and pretty much taking him out the door, when the surgeon comes in and says, "Well, it looks like we missed one."
What? He explained that when he was removing the teeth, he never saw the 6th tooth. But, when he checked the x-ray afterward it was still showing up. He gave us the option of waiting and having it done at a later time, or putting Brian back in the chair and doing it now. We opted for now. He is sick of doctors and hospitals and just wanted it to be finished. So, back in the chair he goes for another half an hour. This time he is awake for the whole thing, he is numb, but awake. After another 1/2 an hour, the surgeon tells me that he got the tooth, and that it was not one, but 2 small teeth. That makes a total of 7. Apparently, I married the Wisest guy around. He also said they were so so close the the sinus cavity. I'm thinking that some of his diagnosed "sinus infections" from last year, may have been misdiagnosed. I think 4 wisdom teeth on the upper left side of his mouth may have been causing a lot of the pain problems.

So, he is now very much swollen and in pain. I think he looks cute with his chipmunk cheeks. Instead of rubbing his head and saying "poor bunny", I've switched to "poor chipmunk". He wouldn't allow any pictures, sorry.

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Poor Brian! I didn't even know it was possible for someone to have that many wisdom teeth. I hope you feel better soon, Brian!

And, I'm sure you're still wise... well, a wise guy, at least.

Becca said...

Well, I don't have any wisdom teeth and so I guess that makes me inherently stupid - oh well - at least that means no surgery. I have a couple pictures of Tim with his wisdom teeth cheeks just in case for blackmail. Snap a few while he is sleeping...

Teresa said...

Oh my! I was miserable when I got my 4 pulled, I can't imagine how much pain he must be in right now. Hope you are doing better soon Brian. Kim, I think you are ready for an honorary nursing degree by this point.

ducklips said...

Holy cow! I had no idea Brian was so wise. I am sorry for him having to go through all of that. Before I got my 3 wisdom teeth removed I had a horrible sinus infection and serious migrains. At least maybe all the craziness will be done.

Unknown said...

Poor Brian! I am so sorry. I will bring you a treat when you feel better.

LauraB said...

Whoa - maybe you wouldn't have had to do the "Tisdale" after all if you'd known this first! So, so sorry you are having to go through this - and by you, I mean Kim!

Merilee said...

ohhh Pain!!

Marcy said...

All I can say is "OUCH!" and that's why I refuse to have my wisdom teeth taken out.

Sheri said...

Poor little chipmunk. But maybe now he'll start to feel better (even if he is a little stupider).

Michelle and Aaron said...

Holy extra teeth Batman! That is crazy! Well, hopefully you are feeling better now! Also, it really sucks to be awake when they are removing teeth. I feel your pain.