Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!


Happy Birthday to the best person I know - My Mom.  Isn't she gorgeous?  Don't be mad that I posted a picture.  You look awesome!  This is one of my favorite pictures of you!  Anyway, here are some things you should know about my mom:

1.  She is kind.  She will do anything for anybody.  She doesn't know the word "no."

2.  She is fun.  She tells silly little jokes, you know, the kind that make you cringe, but you just can't help but laugh at because they are so bad.  Example:  When someone asked where the bananas were, her repy was:  "In the peel."  I'm proud to have gotten some of her sense of humor.

3.  She takes notes about everything.  I'm not kidding - everything.  She has notes on Conference and Church talks, but she also has notes on episodes of SYTYCD.  We made fun of her one time for taking notes at a Sun's basketball game - not kidding.  But whenever anyone asks when something happened, she knows right away where to look to find out, and she always has notes on it.  She is a dedicated journal keeper.  100 years from now, her descendants will know exactly who she was.

4.  She is fair.  At Christmas time, she makes sure she spends the exact amount of money on everyone.  If she takes one grandkid on a special date, then she'll make sure that she takes each of them on one.

5.  She is fun.  There is no one else that I'd rather see Mamma Mia with 3 times.  She is my favorite lunch date, shopping date, movie date.  

6.  She's into pop culture.  Anyone who knows her knows her obsession with Jacqueline Smith or Emmy Rossum.  It's fun.  I love that she reads people magazine and that I can talk to her about pop culture.  I love that she loves SYTYCD and Gilmore Girls just like I do.  I love that she likes some of the same music and books.  We always have something to talk about.

7.  She is sympathetic and empathetic.  If you are hurting, so is she.  If you are happy, so is she.  If you are upset, so is she.  You never have to go through any emotion alone.  

8.  She is spiritual.  For years and years she would get up at 4:00 in the morning so she could spend quiet time reading scriptures and inspirational books and articles.  She meditated and prayed in the quiet morning hours.  With 5 kids in 6 years, she probably needed that time to make her sane because the rest of her day was crazy.

9.  She is patient.  Again, with 5 kids in 6 years, you'd have to be.  In all my memories of my childhood years, I never remember her yelling.  I'm not kidding.  I'm not saying that she didn't get upset with us, or discipline us, but she never raised her voice.  I never felt like she didn't love me.  

10.  She epitomizes creative parenting.  I remember doing morning family exercises to a song called "go you chicken fat go."  I also remember her gunny sack song.  When we didn't pick up our toys, gunny sack would come out and eat them up.  We'd have to pay a quarter to get them back.  

I could go on, and on, and on....

She is awesome.  I love you mom.  The best compliment I ever got was when someone told me I was just like my mom.  Happy Birthday!

7 comments:

LauraB said...

I can't see what you're trying to show me - but let me guess. It's a picture of your Mom and you're wishing her a Happy Birthday because she's reach a "big one" today! Am I right??

Sheri said...

I love your MOM!
She is the greatest living example, that i know, that has a pure love of Christ. Even more important is she then shows that unconditional love to all around her. I have never felt anything but at ease and comfortable around her and the sweetness that she does possess. Happy Birthday! LOVE IAN

Sheri said...

She is pretty rad. We are a lucky bunch.

LauraB said...

OK, now I can see the picture. She is absolutely gorgeous!! You look a lot like her, Kim!

Karen Lambson said...

I had forgotten about that picture. That is some big hair.
Kim, you are too kind and you made me cry. There is no one I would rather be with than my beautiful children and grandchildren and of course my handsome husband.
Thank you so much!! It is nice to be appreciated, but I'm not sure I deserve it.

Love, Mom

Teresa said...

Wow. That is a great picture.

Trina said...

Karen,
Holy Cow! You are one hottie!
Happy Birthday! I have to say I diddo everything Kim said! I love you and could not ask for a better mother in law. You are such a perfect example. Bishop Willis always taled about what a great person you are, and the only time I have ever seen Darrel cry was when bishop Willis was talking about you. We love you