Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Yellow Boat




Tonight Joseph, Brian and I went to Hamilton High School to watch their theater production "The Yellow Boat". My nephew Adam (Stacy's oldest) plays the lead in the show. He was so amazing. I've seen every high school play Adam has been in, and this was by far the best. He was made to play the part of Benjamin Saar.
Let me give you a brief history of this play. "The Yellow Boat" was written by David Saar. It is based on the true story of his son Benjamin Saar. Benjamin was born a hemopheliac, and grew up with constant blood transfusions, and during one of them he contracted AIDS. He was a gifted artist, and nearing the end of his life Benjamin used his drawing to communicate his feelings, and as a release for his pain. He passed away at the age of eight.
This is a replica of the actual piece of artwork by Benjamin Saar. When he was young his favorite bedtime story was a story his parents told him about 3 boats - A red boat, a blue boat and a yellow boat. They all set sail together. The red and blue boats returned, but the yellow boat left and never came back. He sailed away to the sun. As a child, Benjamin always said he was the yellow boat. This is a drawing of his yellow boat sailing up to the sun.
This play made me laugh, and cry, sometimes both at the same time. It focuses so much on who Benjamin was and how he dealt with his lot in life. Adam is so perfect for this role. It must have been hard to play a 7 year old, but he did a great job. After all, any of you that know him knows that he is a kid at heart. Also, during the hospital scenes where he is being poked and prodded, I couldn't help but think that Adam could probably relate. I kept having flashbacks of him when he was a 5 year old boy in the hospital, newly diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. He was poked and prodded and tested so much.
I have to say that I am so incredibly proud of Adam. He really suprised me at how good an actor he really is. And, to any of you out there in blogland who live in close by, GO SEE THIS PLAY! You won't regret it. Thursday, November 8th at 7:00 p.m. at Hamilton High School is the very last showing of it. Tickets are $7.00 at the door. Kids 10 and under are free. It will touch your heart.
Joseph and Brian loved it too!

4 comments:

Brian said...

I have to say that I second everything Kim said. It was an amazing play and if not only to support Adam, we NEED to see this. It will, however, touch your heart and bring life back into perspective. If there is ANY way any of you can go tonight, let me know and I will HAPPILY watch your kids. Call me: 480-276-8063. You will not regret it.

As for you, Adam, we have our moments, but I am proud of the job you did.

Karen Lambson said...

Adam was wonderful in the play. It was a real tear jerker.

ducklips said...

That sounds amazing. I wish I didn't have a meeting tonight.

Sheri said...

I wish I could've went. Adam is so creative & talented. What you wrote made me cry, so maybe it's good I didn't go to the play - I would've probably balled like a baby.